Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 21
Abstract The Conrad S. Babcock papers, circa 1877-1941 (bulk 1898-1918), document Babcock’s service in the U.S. Army from 1894-1937. The bulk of the collection consists of Babcock’s memoirs detailing his military service at home, in the Philippines during the Philippine-American War and in France during the final months of World War I. The memoirs also document the rapid transformation in size, wartime tactics and weaponry taking place in the military at the turn of the century. Included are handwritten...
Abstract The Catherine Bell papers, 1965-2008 (bulk 1996-2008), document Bell’s research process as she began writing Believing and the Practice of Religion, left unfinished at the time of her death in 2008. With this book, Bell sought to spur a discussion about belief, a phenomenon that few religious scholars had addressed but that Bell held was central to the study of religion. The collection includes her unfinished manuscript and related research materials. The...
Abstract The Edwin J. Brown Papers document a portion of the career of professor Edwin J. Brown, founder and head of Santa Clara University's Department of Education from 1951-1962. The bulk of the collection documents Brown's career at Santa Clara University, as well as his involvement as a scout for the St. Louis Browns baseball team. The collection includes academic publications, correspondence, teaching materials and unpublished writings. This collection is arranged into six series: Series I....
Abstract The Magín Catalá, O.F.M. Collection, circa 1885-2009 (bulk 1885-1909), documents the life of Fray Magín Catalá. Often referred to as the “Holy Man of Santa Clara,” Fr. Catalá was stationed at Mission Santa Clara for thirty-six years and was widely renowned for his piety and spiritual labors. In 1882, more than fifty years after Magín Catalá’s death, Archbishop J.S. Alemany, O.P. initiated the process of his beatification. As of 2014, his Cause remained open. The bulk of the collection consists...
Abstract The Francisco Jiménez Papers, 1962-2010, document Jiménez’s achievements as a writer and university professor. Jiménez’s written works, primarily collections of short stories, document his childhood and adolescence as the son of migrant farm workers. He recounts his personal and academic journey, from working alongside his parents while living in abject poverty and struggling to learn English at school, to eventually receiving his BA at Santa Clara University, as well as his MA and Ph.D. at...
Abstract The Francis L. Markey papers, 1975-2009 (bulk 1975-1986), consist of materials spanning approximately sixty years of Fr. Markey's service as a pastor and chaplain. The collection includes newspaper clippings of Markey's weekly column, "As Seen From Here," which was published in the Cabrillo Times in Aptos, California and theGreen Sheet in Capitola, California for 10 years, nearly 600 working drafts of his typewritten...
Identifier: R.G. 1
Abstract The Mission Santa Clara Manuscript Collection, 1777-1903, 1958, 2002 (bulk 1777-1851), consists of hundreds of manuscripts written, collected and used by the Franciscans at Mission Santa Clara, from the founding of the Mission in 1777 until the arrival of the Jesuits in 1851. The Franciscan missionaries wrote and collected numerous and diverse documents, including sacramental records, account books, annual reports, letters, choirbooks, and instructions on health care and cuisine, among others....
Abstract The Murphy Family Papers, 1842-1910 (bulk 1850-1880), document the lives of the Murphy family before and after their arrival to the San Jose, California area. The records consist of correspondence, indentures, legal paperwork, bills, receipts, and maps of property that the family owned. This collection is arranged into three series: Series I. Martin Murphy, Jr.’s Papers, 1842-1885 (bulk 1850-1880); Series II. Murphy Family Miscellaneous Papers, 1846-1870 (bulk 1850-1870); and Series III. Murphy...
Abstract The Pellerano Family Papers, 1879-1945 (bulk 1879-1894) document the business and professional lives of the Pellerano family. The records consist of business ledgers that belonged to Clorinda, Pedrina, and Nicholas Pellerano as well as school essays written by Nicholas Pellerano during his time at Santa Clara College, from 1888-1891. Also included are photographs, correspondence, and other ephemera associated with the Pellerano, Boitano, and Wempe families. This collection is arranged into two...
Abstract The Pinedo Family Papers, 1826-1901 (bulk 1842-1901), document the Pinedo family and life at Mission Santa Clara prior to the laicization of the mission. The records consist of the reminiscences of Encarnación Pinedo, author of El Cocinero Español, along with two copies of her book, property records, military documents, reproductions of marriage and baptism certificates, devotional books, newspaper clippings, family portraits, and photographs of railroad cars....
- Names: Santa Clara College (Calif.) X
- Education, Higher -- United States -- California 7
- California -- History -- Archival resources 2
- Californios 2
- Chicano literature (English) 2
- College sports -- California 2
- Franciscans -- California 2
- Indians of North America -- Missions -- California -- Archival resources 2
- Missions -- California 2
- Novelists, American -- 20th century -- Archival resources 2
- Ohlone Indians -- Missions -- California 2
- Pioneers -- California 2
- Santa Clara University -- History 2
- Account books 1
- Aeronautics 1
- Alta California 1
- American literature -- 20th century 1
- American newspapers -- Aptos (Calif.) 1
- American newspapers -- Capitola (Calif.) 1
- Annual reports 1
- Baccalaureate addresses 1
- Baptismal records 1
- Beatification 1
- Burial records 1
- California -- Church history -- Archival resources 1
- California -- History -- 19th century -- Archival resources 1
- California -- History -- To 1851 -- Archival resources 1
- Chicano movement 1
- Commencement ceremonies 1
- Confirmation records 1
- Cooking -- California -- 18th and 19th centuries 1
- Correspondence 1
- Education, Higher -- California -- San Jose 1
- Faith 1
- Franciscans -- Mexico -- History 1
- Jesuits -- History 1
- Legal documents 1
- Marriage records 1
- Medicine -- California -- History 1
- Mexican American authors 1
- Mexican Americans -- California -- History 1
- Mexico -- History -- 18th century 1
- Mexico -- History -- 19th century 1
- Missions, Spanish -- California -- History -- Archival resources. 1
- Missions, Spanish -- Economic aspects -- California -- Archival resources. 1
- Music -- Manuscripts 1
- Philippines -- History -- Philippine American War, 1899-1902 1
- Pioneers -- California -- Biography 1
- Religious education -- Study and teaching 1
- Religious thought 1
- Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County, Calif.) 1
- Secularization -- Mexico -- History -- 19th century 1
- Students -- Social life and customs 1
- Students -- Societies 1
- United States Army -- Officers 1
- Women -- Societies and clubs 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- France 1
- Youth -- Recreation -- 20th century 1
- Youth centers -- 20th century 1 ∧ less