Skip to main content

Alumni Association records

 Record Group
Identifier: 7L

Scope and Content of the Collection

The Alumni Association records consist of the original Alumni Association Constitution, a souvenir of Santa Clara from 1896, the mailing list for alumni retreats, member and chapter records, newsletters, alumni member list from 1851-1951, correspondence about the Gianera Lecture Series, deposit slips, alumni fundraising reports, alumni office correspondence and fund reports, stationary, alumni funraising campaign stock certificates, the Board of Directors minutes, contribution records, correspondence, the Alumni Loyalty Fund Campaign, alumni constitution and goals, alumni council board directory (1975-75), distribution of alumni in the United States, Executive Committee minutes, speaker policy from president, a credit ledger, and a record of disbursements ledger (1953-55), records of receipts (1952-53), flyers and invitations for homecoming events, a keychain (May 15, 1987), a photo of the stain glass donation made by the Class of 1949, and inaugural invitations from universities (1995-2004).

Dates

  • 1881-2013

Creator

Access

The collection is open for research. There are no restrictions.

Publication Rights

Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the specialcollections@scu.edu. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.

Organizational History

The Alumni Association Constitution was adopted on April 27, 1881, Charles F. Wilcox served as secretary. The Second annual constituion meeting was held on May 11, 1882, and B. D. Murphy was president. A revision of the constitution was adopted in 1933 and revised in 1934 and 1961. The Alumni Association's Gianera Lecture Fund was the first lecture ever endowed by the University of Santa Clara. Thomas C. Moroney served as chairmain of the fund and Dr. Jerome G. Kerwin was the first lecturer. In 1965, Emile D. Maloney gave her speech "What Santa Clara Means to Me" at an alumni meeting. Thomas D. Terry, S.J., issued a new speaker's policy after controversial speeches by Dr. Shockley, Karla LeVey, and a Ku Klux Klan official. The Class of 1949 donated a stained glass to Santa Clara.

Organizational History

Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original 21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara University. “About SCU – History.” www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J. The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.

Extent

10.8 linear feet (10.8 linear feet (25 boxes and 1 volume))

Language of Materials

English

Overview

The Alumni Association records consist of the original Alumni Association Constitution, a souvenir of Santa Clara from 1896, the mailing list for alumni retreats, member and chapter records, newsletters, alumni member list from 1851-1951, correspondence about the Gianera Lecture Series, deposit slips, alumni fundraising reports, alumni office correspondence and fund reports, stationary, alumni funraising campaign stock certificates, the Board of Directors minutes, contribution records, correspondence, the Alumni Loyalty Fund Campaign, alumni constitution and goals, alumni council board directory (1975-75), distribution of alumni in the United States, Executive Committee minutes, speaker policy from president, a credit ledger, and a record of disbursements ledger (1953-55), records of receipts (1952-53), flyers and invitations for homecoming events, a keychain (May 15, 1987), a photo of the stain glass donation made by the Class of 1949, and inaugural invitations from universities (1995-2004).

Arrangement

Contains the records of the Alumni Association. The records are arranged by series; Box 1: Membership; Box 2: Publications; Box 3: Director's files; Box 4: Minutes; Box 5: Credit Register; Box 6: Disbursements; Box 7: Events; Box 8: Inaugural Invites 1995-2001; Box 9: Inaugural Invites 2002-2004.

Physical Location

This collection is located in Santa Clara University Library's Archives & Special Collections.

Language of Materials

English

Processing Information

Collection processed prior to 2020. Legacy collection data migrated from existing MARC records by Evan Rabinowitz in 2020. Please consult Archives & Special Collections staff regarding the existence of container lists or other finding aids for this collection.
Title
Guide to the Alumni Association records
Status
In Progress
Author
Legacy collection data migrated from existing MARC records by Evan Rabinowitz in 2021. Reviewed by Nadia Nasr.
Date
© 2020 Santa Clara University. All rights reserved.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Archives & Special Collections, Santa Clara University Library Repository

Contact:
Santa Clara University Library
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara California 95053-0500 USA US
408-554-5530