Skip to main content

Santa Clara University Artifact Collection

 Collection
Identifier: ARTI.2019.02.14
The Santa Clara University Artifact Collection consists of 573 items spanning a broad range of formats. Each of the series in the collection attests to an important aspect of the university’s history and identity. Aspects of university life documented in the collection include its participation in intercollegiate athletics, its commitment to academic excellence, the Catholic identity of the university, and the presence of Mission Santa Clara on campus.

The types of materials found in the collection include artifacts, ephemera, textiles, memorabilia, art works and archeological materials. Particular coverage is given to items commemorating important events in university history such as the reroute of the Alameda in 1986 and the 150th anniversary of the university in 2001.

Refer to individual series notes for detailed descriptions of the contents.

Dates

  • 103 BCE-2016, & undated (bulk: 1945-2001)

Creator

Language of Materials

English, Latin.

Access

The collection is open for research. There are no restrictions.

Publication Rights

Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.

Extent

115.7 linear feet (, 78 boxes and 5 oversize items)

Organizational History

Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original 21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara University. “About SCU – History.” www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J. The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into the following ten series: Series I. Awards; Series II. Athletics Materials; Series III. Engineering Materials; Series IV. General Materials related to SCU; Series V. Local History; Series VI. Miscellanous Materials; Series VII. Mission Santa Clara; Series VIII. Religious Materials; Series IX. Apparel; and Series X. Building Markers and Materials.

Physical Location

This collection is located in Santa Clara University Library's Archives & Special Collections.

Processing Information

Collection processed in 2019 by Andrea Hoff with assistance from Daniela Baez and Mia Hope. Finding aid written and EAD encoded by Andrea Hoff with assistance from Daniela Baez and Mia Hope.
Title
Guide to the Santa Clara University Artifact Collection
Status
completed
Author
Andrea Hoff
Date
© 2019 Santa Clara University. All rights reserved.
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Archives & Special Collections, Santa Clara University Library Repository

Contact:
Santa Clara University Library
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara California 95053-0500 USA US
408-554-5530