Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract The Frederick A. Cook and Robert E. Peary Collection, 1904-1960, documents the controversy surrounding the dual claims of the discovery of the North Pole by Frederick A. Cook and Robert E. Peary. The bulk of the collection consists of multiple drafts of articles written by William Shea, a Cook supporter who began writing about him after meeting with him. A portion of the collection is dedicated to articles written by various authors expressing their beliefs on the issue, and newspaper clippings...
Abstract The Bernard R. Hubbard, S.J. Papers, 1852-2001 (1921-1958), documents the life of priest, explorer, and lecturer Father Bernard Rosencrans Hubbard, also known as the Glacier Priest. The bulk of the collection consists of photographs and films taken by Father Hubbard during his travels and artifacts both owned and collected by him. The records consist of correspondence between Hubbard and friends, coworkers, fellow members of the priesthood, and a variety of other people, including fans to...
Dates: 1852-2001 (bulk 1921-1958)
Abstract The Edgar R. Levin Collection, circa 1934-1965 (bulk 1939-1959), chronicles the adult life of Edgar Ross Levin, a teacher, lecturer and later supervisor in Santa Clara County who worked as Father Bernard R. Hubbard’s assistant on his journeys to Alaska. The collection consists of materials detailing Levin's Alaskan adventures, his methods of teaching, and the topics he discussed during his lectures. The collection also supplies further information about Father Hubbard from his assistant’s...
Dates: 1934-1965 (bulk 1939-1959)
Scope and Content of the Collection Spearman's correspondence reflects research interests of patrons; Hubbard Photograph Collection records of preservation/access grant by the National Science Foundation (1987); Hubbard Film Collection records of collection's long-term deposit with Smithsonian Institution (1993).
Dates: Example: 1900-2010 (bulk 2000-2005), 1851-1854, 1932-
- Subject: Hubbard, Bernard R. (Bernard Rosecrans), 1888-1962 X
- Education, Higher -- California -- San Jose 2
- Santa Clara University -- History 2
- Alaska 1
- Cook, Frederick Albert, 1865-1940 1
- Discovery and Exploration 1
- Education, Higher -- United States -- California 1
- Explorers -- United States -- Biography 1
- King Island Native Community 1
- Levin, Edgar R. 1
- Nome (Alaska) 1
- North Pole (Alaska) 1
- Peary, Robert E. (Robert Edwin), 1856-1920 1
- Santa Clara County (Calif.) -- History, Local 1
- Santa Clara University (Calif.) -- Archives 1
- Santa Cruz (Calif.) 1 ∧ less
- Hubbard, Bernard Rosecrans, S.J. 2
- Cook, Frederick , 1865-1940 1
- Levin, Edgar R. 1
- Santa Clara University (Calif.). University Archives 1