Center for the Study of Contemporary Values records
Scope and Content of the Collection
Collection includes recordings of lectures and discussions sponsored by the Center: paper files include subjects and people files. Broadsides are posters for various events and advertisements for programs. Also includes the periodical "Issues in Ethics" as well as informational brochures regarding various lecture series and their individual speakers.
The collection is open for research. There are no restrictions.
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the email@example.com. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
Santa Clara University’s commitment to ethics goes all the way back to its founding in 1851. The study of ethics is part of the institution ’s commitment to educating the whole person. Originally named the Center for the Study of Comtemporay Values, in 1986, the University wanted an ambitious new initiative to provide a focal point for the ethics research and teaching that was already being carried on in various schools and departments. With a seed grant from Linda and A.C. “Mike” Markkula Jr. and the leadership of SCU Management and Philosophy Professor Manuel Velasquez, the Center for Applied Ethics was created. It was renamed the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics in 1995.
Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original 21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara University. “About SCU – History.” www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J. The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.
7.75 linear feet (7.75 linear feet (7 cartons and 2 boxes))
Language of Materials
Records are arranged by material types: 3 cartons paper office files, 4 cartons magnetic tapes, 1 box Broadsides, 1 box "Issues in Ethics". Videotapes are arranged chronologically.
This collection is located in Santa Clara University Library's Archives & Special Collections.
Language of Materials
Collection processed prior to 2020. Legacy collection data migrated from existing MARC records by Evan Rabinowitz in 2020. Please consult Archives & Special Collections staff regarding the existence of container lists or other finding aids for this collection.
- Guide to Center for the Study of Contemporary Values records
- In Progress
- Legacy collection data migrated from existing MARC records by Evan Rabinowitz in 2020. Reviewed by Nadia Nasr.
- © 2020 Santa Clara University. All rights reserved.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description