Brunengo, Aloysius, S.J., Fr.
- Existence: 1836
Father Aloysius Brunengo, S.J. served as the seventh president of Santa Clara College from 1876 to 1880. He, like Father Varsi before him, had the skills more of a prosperous business man rather than a teacher in order to facilitate the expansion of the school’s commercial course. During his time Father Brunengo opened a commercial training program which would provide more practical training after the Civil War. The program became popular and brought financial advantages through the 1860s and 1870s. Brunengo decided to expand the school’s commercial course and construct a special building for the purpose. There was significant opposition among faculty who thought teaching mere vocational training would betray the hallowed Jesuit educational practices. The previous president, Father Varsi, was in strong opposition of this innovation as well. Father Brugeno’s plan prevailed and the construction of the Commercial Building arose on campus alongside Villiger’s Science Hall in 1877. The construction of the wood and brick structure would cost $10,000 containing classrooms on the first floor and large lecture halls on the second floor. After Father Brunengo resigned in 1880 he was replaced by Father Pinasco, S.J.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Files include primarily correspondence of the early presidents of Santa Clara: Congiato (1856-1857), Cicaterri (1857-1861), Villiger (1861-1865), Varsi (1868-1876), Brunengo (1876-1880), Kenna (1883-1888), Pinasco (1888-1893), Riordan (1893-1894), Kenna (1899-1905), Gleeson (1905-1910), Morrissey (1910-1913), Thornton (1913-1918), and Murphy (1918-1921). Boxes 5 and 6 include Fr. Kenna's breviary and crucifix and Box 7 includes 2 copies of Rev. John Ryan, S.J.'s "Memoir of the Life of Rev....